For the past month I have set myself the challenge of shooting primarily in black and white. The purpose of this was to change my way of thinking while shooting, and rather than happening upon compositions that work well in monochrome. These are the results:
A short time lapse video of an evening of Beijing traffic. Shot using a Canon EOS 5D.
Music credit: Blue Bhikku by Meturi
Let me start by saying that I love Flickr. I host all my photography content there. Not too long ago, they introduced video. They imposed limitations around file size, and a maximum length of 90 seconds.
These limitations make sense. High quality video has high bandwidth costs, and the time limit places creative constraints that are consistent with Flickr’s photographic background. The short videos are, in their own words, “long photos”.
However, with this in mind they simply cannot skimp on quality. The encoder they are using may result in a small deliverable, but it is evident that the picture quality suffers significantly. Compare the same short video uploaded to Vimeo and Flickr. The detail in the foliage is visibly better with Vimeo.
It may not seem like much, but the Flickr user base is a discerning community and until Flickr delivers a higher bitrate for my money, I shall be going elsewhere for video hosting.
Welcome. Here you'll find Adam Scott's blog and photos. Adam is an agile software developer by trade and a photographer by night.
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- twitter: adam_d_scott
- github: github.com/adscott
- flickr: flic.kr/adsphoto
- 500px: 500px.com/adamscott
- photography (17)
- timelapse (7)
- testing (4)
- randomexcellence (4)
- database (3)
- ruby (3)
- lx3 (2)
- underscore (2)
- panasonic (2)
- blackandwhite (2)
- Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 Time Lapse Test
- iPhone Time Lapse
- Rendering partials in toto
- Stunning landscape photography by Peter Zeglis
- Duplicate Active Model validation errors
- Updated jasmine-underscore
- Introducing mailcrate
- Random Excellence - Kevin O'Mara
- A month of black and white
- Beijing Traffic
- Flickr vs Vimeo
- 5 ways to database testing heaven
- SQLDeveloper crashing
- Simple levitation
- Random Excellence - MacArthur.K
- 4 Things I learnt from McDonalds
- Random Excellence - Udit Manektala
- Test by feature not story
- Backbone.js - Events and Controllers
- Backbone.js - Models and Views
- Design Patterns in memory managed languages
- Transactions around database tests
- Time lapse videos with the LX3
- Problems cloning from github?
- madExcept's heinous crimes
- Distributed Agile Learnings
- A common standard for build status
- LX3 with a viewfinder
- Olympus Trip 35 - Initial Impressions
- Are you too tall?
- Company Away Day Time Lapse
- Don't use Java primitives
- Consider overriding Equals and Hashcode as a general rule
- Shoot some film
- Time lapse - Part 2 - Animating images
- Bringing back pinhole
- Time lapse - Part 1 - Generating image sequences
- RhinoUnit with env.js
- Screw.Unit outside the browser